Saturday, July 2, 2011

Is it worth it?

I've been told many times before, "It's just not worth it". Chasing up after people who just don't care about you anymore and have moved on in life. It's hard cos i'm a stubborn girl, and it feels like I'm always trying my best to hang on to whatever thread of friendship that's left connecting two souls. What's more frustrating is when you're the only one initiating the effort 99% of the time.

Friendship. What is it? When you form a bond with someone in a particular place, at a particular time and phase in your life, what meaning does it hold for you? I'm not sure about everyone else, but it feels like when transitioning from one chapter to another (e.g: school to college, or college to uni, or country to country) the people around me seem to join a new circle of friends and forget the old. A reality that is hard for me to swallow. Sometimes I wonder, how can someone forget their friends so quickly? I mean, one moment you're close friends, doing everything together, and the next (maybe few months/years down the tracks) you hardly say hello to each other?

With the age of facebook, keeping in touch is now as easy as a few taps on the keyboard and a few minutes of your time. But I hate to always be the one to start "hey, long time no hear from you, how are you, how's everything...". A close close friend of mine once told me, "Why are you wasting your time, every time I see YOU posting to them, it's not like they make any effort to keep in touch back from what I see". True. Facebook is also a very destructive tool. It can really hurt one's feelings when you see your "friends" spending soooo much time on facebook, updating photos of them with their new friends and conversing with other people and doing everything under the sun BUT attempt to keep in touch with you. Clearly they're not busy considering the amount of time and updates on facebook. But I guess the friendship we once shared just isn't important anymore. It's sad, really.

But life goes on. I need to learn to let go, and start moving on myself. Or else, I will always be left behind...

No comments:

Post a Comment